Friday 1 November 2013

The Power of Prayer All Age Worship pewsheet



Colour: Green


Welcome to St Peter’s-in-the Forest

All Age Communion

With a special welcome to Leo and Luca Pascall

20th October 2013 

Presiding today is Fr Paul Trathen


Our welcomers today are Dave and Amie Stevens


All stand

Hymn:    Give me joy in my heart

1
Give me joy in my heart,
keep me praising,
give me joy in my heart, I pray.
Give me joy in my heart,
keep me praising,
keep me praising till the end of day.

Sing hosanna!  Sing hosanna!
Sing hosanna to the King of kings!
Sing hosanna!  Sing hosanna!
Sing hosanna to the King!

3

Give me love in my heart,
keep me serving,
give me love in my heart, I pray.
Give me love in my heart,
keep me serving,
keep me serving till the end of day.

Sing hosanna!  Sing hosanna!
Sing hosanna to the King of kings!
Sing hosanna!  Sing hosanna!
Sing hosanna to the King!

2
Give me peace in my heart,
keep me resting,
give me peace in my heart, I pray.
Give me peace in my heart,
keep me resting,
keep me resting till the end of day.

Sing hosanna!  Sing hosanna!
Sing hosanna to the King of kings!
Sing hosanna!  Sing hosanna!
Sing hosanna to the King!
4
Give me oil in my lamp,
keep me burning,
give me oil in my lamp, I pray.
Give me oil in my lamp,
keep me burning,
keep me burning till the end of day.

Sing hosanna!  Sing hosanna!
Sing hosanna to the King of kings!
Sing hosanna!  Sing hosanna!
Sing hosanna to the King!

 

Welcome


Priest:   In the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit;

All:         Amen.

 

Priest:   The Lord be with you.

All:         And also with you.


Priest:   Today the theme of our service is “The Power of Prayer.”  Prayer is the practice of the presence of God.  The Bible speaks much of prayer. But, sometimes, too often, we ignore prayer and seek to accomplish in the strength of our own wills those things that we desire to have or happen. For those of us who are too often guilty of this, we need to confess our sin and receive God's forgiveness.

                We’re going to use our Gospel reading for today (Luke 18:1-8) interspersed with our confession and a hymn.


Reader:                Then Jesus told them a parable about their need to pray always and not to lose heart.

All:                         Forgive us Lord, when we do not pray and think we can get things done on our own.

Sing:                      Lord Jesus Christ,
                                now and ev’ry day teach us how to pray,
                                Son of God.
                                You have commanded us to do
                                this in remembrance, Lord, of you.
                                Into our lives your pow’r breaks through,
                                living Lord.

Reader:                He said, ‘In a certain city there was a judge who neither feared God nor had enough respect for people.  In that city there was a widow who kept coming to him saying, “Grant me justice against my opponent.”

All:                         Forgive us, Lord, when we do not show respect for one another.  Help us to work towards justice for all people.

Sing:                      Lord Jesus Christ,
                                you have come to us, born as one of us,
                                Mary’s Son.
                                Led out to die on Calvary,
                                risen from death to set us free,
                                living Lord Jesus, help us see
                                you are Lord.

Reader:                For a while he refused; but later he said to himself, “Though I have no fear of God and no respect for anyone, yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will grant her justice, so that she may not wear me out by continually bothering me.”

All:                         Forgive us, Lord, when we ignore those in need.  Let us be quick to lend a hand when it is needed.

Sing:                      Lord Jesus Christ,
                                I would come to you, live my life for you,
Son of God.
All your commands I know are true,
your many gifts will make me new,
into my life your pow’r breaks through,
living Lord.

Reader:   And the Lord said, ‘Listen to what the unjust judge says.  And will not God grant justice to his chosen ones who cry to him day and night?  Will he delay long in helping them?  I tell you, he will quickly grant Justice to them.  And yet, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?’

Sing:         Lord Jesus Christ,
                   you have come to us, you are one with us
                   Mary’s Son;
                   cleansing our souls from all their sin,
                   pouring your love and goodness in,
                   Jesus, our love for you we sing,
                   living Lord.

Absolution

Priest:      True and just God, who hears us when we pray and forgives us when we are truly sorry, have mercy on us and forgive us all our sins.  We ask this in Jesus’ name.  Amen.

Gloria – Majesty, worship his majesty

Majesty, worship his majesty;
unto Jesus be glory, honour and praise.
Majesty, kingdom, authority
flow from his throne unto his own: his anthem raise.
So exalt, lift up on high the name of Jesus;
magnify, come glorify Christ Jesus the King.
Majesty, worship his majesty,
Jesus who died, now glorified, King of all kings.

Prayer stations
Following which we all make a large circle round the church

Creed

Priest:                   We believe in God the Father
All:                         We believe in God the Father
Voice A:               What kind of God is he?
Voice B:               A creative God who made the stars and the sky and the earth below.
Voice C:                               A generous God who gives us light and life.
Voice D:               A loving God who knows you by name and is our friend.

All:                         Yes. This is God our Father.
Leader:                                 We believe in Jesus.
All:                         We believe in Jesus.
Voice A:               Who is Jesus?
Voice B:               He is God’s Son who came to show us what God is like.
Voice C:                               He brought us healing and forgiveness.
Voice D:               He died for us and God brought him back to life.
All:                         Yes. We believe in Jesus the Son of God.
Leader:                 We believe in the Holy Spirit
All:                         We believe in the Holy Spirit
Voice A:               Who is the Holy Spirit?
Voice B:               Someone we can’t see but can know.
Voice C:                               Someone who helps us to know and follow Jesus.
Voice D:               Someone who gives us the power to be like Jesus.
All:                         Yes. We believe in the Holy Spirit.
                                This is our faith.
We believe in one God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

 

Intercessions (Led by family and friends of Linsey and Alex)

Following  Out of the darkness light shall shine.”  we all say:

Now, our God, we give you thanks and we praise your glorious name.  Amen.

Welcome to Luca and Leo Pascall


Linsey and Alex bring Leo and Luca into the middle of the church

The priest addresses the whole congregation.

                Yesterday, Leo and Luca were welcomed into the church, through baptism; today, we welcome them into our church here at St Peter’s. 

Jesus opened his arms to little children and blessed them.  Let us, like Jesus, welcome Luca and Leo and all children.

All          God our creator, we thank you for the gift of all children entrusted to our care.  May we be patient and understanding, ready to guide and to forgive, so that through our love, they may come to know your love; through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

Priest    Will you, the church of St Peter’s in the Forest, do what you can to support Linsey and Alex in the upbringing of Leo and Luca?

All          With the help of God, we will.




Priest          Will you welcome Luca and Leo into the fellowship of our church?

All                Leo and Luca, we welcome you into the fellowship of St Peter’s in the Forest.            We celebrate when God’s number is added to and give thanks for your baptisms yesterday.  We are children of the same heavenly Father and share in one faith; we welcome you.

Peace
Priest:         Jesus is the Bread of Life and the Prince of Peace. 
Let us share with one another, a sign of God’s peace.  The peace of the Lord be with you always.
All:               And also with you.
Let us offer one another a sign of peace.


We shake hands, saying “Peace be with you” and then return to our seats

All sing:    Praise God from whom all blessings flow;
praise him all creatures here below;
praise him above ye heavenly host,
praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

Hymn:  Tell out, my soul
During this hymn, a collection will be taken.  If you would like information on how to gift-aid your donation, please see Peter Shrubsole after the service.  Information on setting up standing orders is also available from Peter.

1
Tell out, my soul,
the greatness of the Lord:
unnumbered blessings,
give my spirit voice;
tender to me
the promise of his word;
in God my Saviour
shall my heart rejoice.

3
Tell out, my soul,
the greatness of his might:
pow’rs and dominions
lay their glory by;
proud hearts and stubborn
wills are put to flight,
the hungry fed,
the humble lifted high.
2
Tell out, my soul,
the greatness of his name:
make known his might,
the deeds his arm has done;
his mercy sure,
from age to age the same;
his holy name,
the Lord, the mighty one.
4
Tell out, my soul,
the glories of his word:
firm in his promise,
and his mercy sure.
Tell out, my soul,
the greatness of the Lord
to children’s children
and for evermore.


Eucharistic prayer


Priest    The Lord is here.                             
All          His Spirit is with us.

                Lift up your hearts.
                We lift them to the Lord.

                Let us give thanks to the Lord our God.
                It is right to give him thanks and praise.

When we turned away you did not reject us,
                but came to meet us in your Son.
                                               
You embraced us as your children
                and welcomed us to sit and eat with you.

In Christ you shared our life
                that we might live in him and he in us.


                He opened his arms of love upon the cross
                and made for all the perfect sacrifice for sin.

                On the night that he was betrayed,
                at supper with his friends he took bread, and gave you thanks;
                he broke it and gave it to them, saying:
                Take, eat; this is my body which is given for you;
                do this in remembrance of me.

                Father, we do this in remembrance of him:
                his body is the bread of life.

At the end of supper, taking the cup of wine,
                he gave you thanks, and said:

                Drink this, all of you; this is my blood of the new covenant,
                which is shed for you for the forgiveness of sins;
                do this in remembrance of me.

Father, we do this in remembrance of him:
                his blood is shed for all.

As we proclaim his death and celebrate his rising in glory,
                send your Holy Spirit that this bread and this wine
                may be to us the body and blood of your dear Son.

As we eat and drink these holy gifts
                make us one in Christ, our risen Lord.

With your whole Church throughout the world
                we offer you this sacrifice of praise
                and lift our voice to join the eternal song of heaven:

Holy, holy, holy Lord, God of power and might,
                Heaven and earth are full of your glory.
                Hosanna in the highest.

The Lord’s Prayer
the young people are going to lead us in the Lord’s Prayer in actions!

The priest invites people to come forward to receive communion or a blessing.

Priest    We break this bread to share in the body of Christ.
All          Though we are many, we are one body,
                because we all share in one bread.

Priest:   God’s holy gifts for God’s holy people.
All          Jesus Christ is holy, Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.


Adults who are baptized and children who’ve received preparation are welcome to receive communion. If you do not receive communion, please feel free to go forward for a blessing.
Communion Hymn            Lord of all hopefulness

1
Lord of all hopefulness,
Lord of all joy,
whose trust, ever childlike,
no cares could destroy,
be there at our waking,
and give us, we pray,
your bliss in our hearts, Lord,
at the break of the day.

3
Lord of all kindliness,
Lord of all grace,
your hands swift to welcome,
your arms to embrace,
be there at our homing,
and give us, we pray,
your love in our hearts, Lord,
at the eve of the day.
2
Lord of all eagerness,
Lord of all faith,
whose strong hands were skilled
at the plane and the lathe,
be there at our labours,
and give us, we pray,
your strength in our hearts, Lord,
at the noon of the day.
4
Lord of all gentleness,
Lord of all calm,
whose voice is contentment,
whose presence is balm,
be there at our sleeping,
and give us, we pray,
your peace in our hearts, Lord,
at the end of the day.





Prayer after Communion
Father of light,
in whom is no change or shadow of turning,
you give us every good and perfect gift
and have brought us to birth by your word of truth:
may we be a living sign of that kingdom
where your whole creation will be made perfect
  in Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

Hymn:    One more step along the world I go
During this hymn, the children are invited to come up and get a balloon

1
One more step along the world I go,
one more step along the world I go.
From the old things to the new
keep me travelling along with you.

And it’s from the old
I travel to the new,
keep me travelling along with you.
4

Give me courage when the world
   is rough,
keep me loving though the world
   is tough.
Leap and sing in all I do,
keep me travelling along with you.

And it’s from the old
I travel to the new,
keep me travelling along with you.

2

Round the corners of the world I turn,
more and more about the world
   I learn.
All the new things that I see
you’ll be looking at along with me.

And it’s from the old
I travel to the new,
keep me travelling along with you.

5
You are older than the world can be, you are younger than the life in me. Ever old and ever new,
keep me travelling along with you.

And it’s from the old
I travel to the new,
keep me travelling along with you.
3
As I travel through the bad and good,
keep me travelling the way I should.
Where I see no way to go,
you’ll be telling me the way I know.

And it’s from the old
 I travel to the new,
keep me travelling along with you.




Blessing and dismissal – given from the back of church; following which the children go outside and release their balloons

Priest:   Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, shall guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  And the blessing of God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, be among us and remain with us always.
All:         Amen.

Priest:   Go in the name of Christ
All:         Thanks be to God.


Please stay after the service, to have a cup of coffee, tea or juice, and a biscuit, and chat with other people.  Our coffee, tea, sugar and biscuits are all fair-trade products.  Serving coffee today are Bridget and Mike Gibbs
On behalf of Linsey and Alex, there is cake to eat too!



Brenda’s Traidcraft Stall – Store Cupboard Essentials: come on over and stock up on your store cupboard essentials -  pasta, honey, sugar, dried fruit (including apricots) and of course, tea, coffee and hot chocolate.

Prayers – this week please pray for:

Barbara & Stan Eager                      Rita & Colin Reid              Beryl Goodwin 
Lily Bollen                                           Ray Hepburn                      Les Hobart         
George and Phyllis Robbins        Richard Fayolle                 Michael Bailey
Fred Lennard                                     Eddie Hoad                         Nicole Middleton
Richard, Debbie, Claire and Grace Mainwaring

Next Week:   
27th October 2013
Bible Sunday – Parish Eucharist


Welcomers
Bill Eveleigh
Mary Eveleigh

Readers
Anita Doherty
Jeremiah 14:7-10, 19-22
Bill Eveleigh
2 Timothy 4:6-8, 16-18

Coffee
John James
Lesley James

Rocks







Mid-week service on TUESDAY 22nd October at 9.30 am



Notices


If you have any photos of Parish/Church life, send them to Paul or Sarah via email and they will be posted on the parish blog site.

Churchyard work party – 2nd November from 10.00 – 4.00 pm.  As before, no tools are required – please just come along. 



Are you a Christian, keen to deepen and explore your life of prayer?
Come to the E17 School of Prayer!

The parish church of St Peter's-in-the-Forest, Walthamstow is privileged to be able to offer an invite to our forthcoming School of Prayer. This exciting 8-week course has been written - and will be led - by Sue Diplock, a member of the ministry team of St Peter's. The course will have a focus on many traditions within the contemplative strand of Christian prayer. (Sue has had a lifelong interest in this strand of prayer and is currently studying at the London Centre for Spirituality.)

Sessions will be held on Monday evenings: 14th, 21st, 28th October, 4th, 11th, 18th, 25th November and 2nd December, in the Peterhouse Centre (122 Forest Rise, Walthamstow. E17 3PW): each session will begin at 7.45 pm and will finish between 9.00 pm and 9.15 pm.

No prior knowledge is supposed.

Open Church – throughout October and November, the church will remain open following the morning service, until 3.15 pm.  Again, please do stay or drop in – there will be cakes, coffee, tea, quiche and soup available!

Mothers’ Union – a Deanery MU event on October 26th at All Saints Highams Park in support of the Overseas Fund.  It starts with a Eucharist at 11.00 am, followed by lunch (£7.00) and Molly Hoyle giving a presentation on the work of the Literacy and Financial Education programme.  There is a sign-up sheet in church – please sign up if you are able to come.

Next All Age Services – 3rd November (Saints Alive!)
                                                1st December (Come, Lord Jesus – Advent Sunday)









The New Testament lesson for today:

2 Timothy 3:14-4:5
14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it, 15 and how from childhood you have known the sacred writings that are able to instruct you for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 so that everyone who belongs to God may be proficient, equipped for every good work.

4 In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I solemnly urge you: 2 proclaim the message; be persistent whether the time is favourable or unfavourable; convince, rebuke, and encourage, with the utmost patience in teaching. 3 For the time is coming when people will not put up with sound doctrine, but having itching ears, they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own desires, 4 and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander away to myths. 5 As for you, always be sober, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, carry out your ministry fully.













I have lived to thank God
that not all of my prayers have been answered




Weekday evenings & weekends contact:
The Vicar: Fr Paul Trathen
St Peter’s Vicarage, 121 Forest Rise, E17 3PW
0787 1584 997

(Parish blog)


Weekday office hours contact:
The Parish Administrator:
Sarah Collins
Peterhouse Centre
122 Forest Rise, Walthamstow
E17 3PW
020 8509 1811

No comments: